As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
You are keto and you want some keto camping meals. No problem! I have you covered.
I even have a way for you to get your camping smore’s in. Along with providing keto camping food ideas, I will also give you tips. These tips will include how to prepare for camping, food tips, getting enough fat in, and getting your electrolytes.
If you are still craving more keto camping meal ideas, I’ve got some at the bottom of this page.
Keto Camping Foods
Camping keto can be super easy by just eating meat if you want, yet I know Sometimes it’s just easier to have a keto camping food list to help you plan out your keto meals. I’ve made a meat list and a veggie list below for you. To cook these meats you can easily just cook them over the campfire or in a dutch oven or camping pan..
- Chicken breast
- Chicken thighs
- Pork steaks or chops
- Eggs. Not exactly meat, but I’m placing this here.
- Hot dogs. I absolutely love Teton hot dogs or sausages.
Low Carb Keto Veggies
- Onions, in moderation
As much as I hate waking up, I love a great cup of coffee in the morning by the fire as I soak up nature all around me. Some mornings I want more than just coffee and I’m sure you do as well.
Here are some simple options for you. For more ideas just scroll back up to look at the keto camping food list and see if anything jumps out for you as breakfast
- Eggs and bacon. It does not get any easier than this.
- Fatty Coffee. Get a battery frother if you go camping with no electricity.
- Plan ahead and make Egg cups. I have a recipe for Mediterranian Pesto Egg Cups.
- Omelets in a bag. These are super easy to do.
- Get a large pot and fill it with water and bring to boil.
- Chop up veggies and cheese that you want and put them in a zip lock bag. Scramble som eggs in a bowl and put those in the same bag.
- Place bag/s in the boiling water for about 13 minutes or so. Enjoy on a plate by the fire.
Now that you have enjoyed breakfast, here are some keto camping meal ideas for lunch and dinner. While camping I try to be as simple as possible.
Camping Skewer Meals
Cooking on sticks can be fun. These can even be prepped ahead of time and placed into a ziplock bag with marinade. Pick out your favorite camping foods of meat and veggies and stick them up!
- Steak with onions and mushrooms.
- Chicken breast with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions or broccoli.
- Shrimp with onion.
- Cook bacon on a skewer and put them in a keto Blood Mary.
Cooking in Foil Packs
- Lay out the aluminum foil and place food in the center.
- Fold up the short ends together then bring up the other edges together, to form a closed boat.
- Cook food over the fire.
Cooking with foil packs is a very easy camping meal to prepare and cook over the fire. This also makes for easy cleanup. When you cook in foil, it helps keep the moisture in and helps to prevent your food from drying out. I highly recommend getting the heavy-duty aluminum. I once got the cheaper version and I learned why it costs less. haha Get the heavy duty!
- Foil Packet Kielbasa
- Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce
- Steak Foil Packets
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Foil Packets
Wrapping and Stuffing Food
Wrapping and stuff food can be a fun way to bring your whole dish together.
- Wrap bacon around everything. Asparagus is a great veggie for wrapping in bacon. The chicken breast would be great meat to use to make fattier with the bacon. Or a new take on bacon cheeseburgers. Wrap your beef patties in bacon.
- Onion Bombs. Onions stuffed with meat and or cheese.
- Hallow out bell peppers and stuff meat and spices in there and cook in foil.
- My Dillafied ham Roll-Ups are great for snacking as well.
- Roll out thin strips of meat and roll it up with thin slices of veggies or cheese. Cook on the fire or grill.
Other Keto Camping Meal Ideas
- Walking Nachos. Get a bag of Quest chips or put some pork rinds in a ZipLock bag. Then add all of your toppings into your bag of “chips”. Meat, cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes. Make it your own.
- In fact, I have a nachos recipe on my site. I just eat mine on a plate though. 🙂
- Pizza. How about a cheese curd crust pizza? I am a Wisconsin girl and I love my cheese curds. Get a cast iron pan and place your cheese curds on the bottom. Then add your toppings. Place your pan on top of the fire or grill to cook. Oooey Gooey pizza.
- Baked veggies and meat. Get a throw away aluminum sheet pan for easy clean up. Dice up veggies of your choice (check out the keto camping food list above for ideas) and toss them on the tray with oil and seasonings. Put your meat on another tray with similar seasonings. Place the two trays on your fire grate.
- Homemade chicken salad with lots of mayo to help with getting your fats in.
- Lettuce wraps with deli meats and sliced cheese.
Instead of one main meal, have a bunch of snacks and make that into a meal. Or heck, snack all day. This is your vacation time to eat how you want to. :0)
My Favorite Keto Snacks
- Dang Bars. I love how the ingredients are simple without any crazy sweeteners. These bars come in 8 flavors. These are also vegan if you are keto vegan. ????
- Stoka Bars. The first time I had one of these, I fell in love. These are a great replacement for the Nature Valley bars.
- Pork Rinds. These are a great chip replacement. There are basic plain flavors but there are also BBQ or Jalapeno flavors from some companies.
- Hard Boiled Eggs. Make these ahead of time to make your camping time even easier or make them over the fire in a pot. I enjoy a cold hard boiled egg with lots of mayo to help keep the fats high.
- Cheese. String cheese, snack pack cheeses, sliced cheese. Cheese is always an easy and quick snack.
- Beef Sticks. I love having beef sticks on hand. You don’t need to refrigerate them and they are easy to carry with you. Nick’s Sticks are my favorite.
- Keto Nuts. Two of my favorites are macadamia nuts and pili nuts. These two nuts are high in fat and low in carbs. Pili nuts are the ultimate keto nut, in my option.
- Perfect Keto put together a large 46 keto snacking list. Most of these snacks are grab and go. Others you may need to prepare some.
Alright, you are on vacation and that means it is time to relax with a nice cold drink. Drinking water is truly the best but I understand that you may not always want water. So here are some other keto camping drinks to enjoy.
- My simple Pina Colada Recipe with no blender needed.
- Electrolyte powders that you can add to water. Electrolytes and water are extremely important in summer especially when you are outside in the sun and are active. It is a lot easier to deplete your electrolytes during this time.
- Zevia Soda
You can’t end your dinner with no dessert. Right? I mean camping is truly about s’mores at night
- Keto S’mores! This one takes some planning but if you really s’mores, you can get them. 🙂
I grew up camping as a kid and still continue to go camping as an adult. Therefore, I have picked up on some great tips while venturing the great outdoors. You may already know some of these tips or you may pick up a few new ones.
I am a person who loves a good list. I think I got this from my dad because he had a checklist he used for camping. This list was around 3 pages long and stapled on the back of an old potato chip box.
- A list of what was or already should be in the camper.
- A list of everything else that was needed to be packed.
- A food list.
- Bring two coolers. Make one cooler for drinks only and the other for food.
- Egg Storage. Egg storage can be hard but I either keep them in their cartons or use this cool 80’s early 90’s egg storage container. This container will hold 12 eggs.
- If you have your food in a plastic bag, place this bag into a Zip Lock bag, as if the first bag leaks, you have a backup bag.
- You could even freeze some of your food ahead of time and these items can be used as ice blocks until you want to eat them.
Prep at Home
- Precut and dice your meat and veggies at home before you go.
- Cook some your meals ahead of time. Such meals could be muffins, casseroles, the keto egg loaf, meat for salads, or even some hard boiled eggs for snacks.
- Preparation your servings at home so if you are tracking you can be sure to be spot on with your food intake.
Items to Cook your Meals With
- Invest in a tripod grill. I grew up with these and they are perfect for cooking over the fire. You can control the heat more by lowering or raising the cooking surface.
- Remember that fires are hot. I love having Ove Gloves or gloves that are similar.
- Cast Iron pans and pots. I love cast iron as they can take a beating and still work great. Cast irons are also great for cooking over the fire.
Getting Fats In
- Eating meats with a higher fat percent will help you. Chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Choose a higher fat steak compared to a lean steak.
- Bring added fats along with you such as butter, mayonnaise or coconut oil.
- Prepackaged fat packs. F-Bombs make some killer macadamia nut butter with other added oils. This company also sells individual oil packs. This item would be great to carry on you if you are taking a long hike.
I can’t stress it enough that electrolytes are important especially in the summer while camping. Electrolytes do not become more important in summer but they are easily depleted during the summer and during higher activity. Every time you sweat and pee is a moment when they are being depleted.
A few signs to look out for are headaches, muscle cramps, and being extra tired.
These are a few of my favorite electrolyte Favorites
Dr. Berg’s Electrolyte Mix: 1,000 mg of Potassium, 120 mg of Magnesium, 0 Carbs
Keto Vitals: 500 mg of Potassium, 200 mg of Magnesium, 0 Carbs
ZipFizz: 950 mg of Potassium, 100 mg of Magnesium, 2 carbs
Redmond’s Real Salt: Along with their organic salt seasonings, they have other items as well.
Camping Meal Plans
- No-Cook Keto Camping Meals
- I wanted to make a meal plan where you did not have to cook your food because sometimes doing that is just easier.
- 3 Days of Keto Camping Meals
- This meal plan and my 7-day meal plan give the macros for each of the meals.
- 7 Days of Keto Camping Meals
- This is the meal plan that I personally ate when I was doing the Deeper State Keto weight loss program and lost 21 pounds.