As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are looking for an easy and quick keto comfort food this home made ground beef stroganoff is for you.
Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff
This low carb beef stroganoff is easy to make as you can cook everything in one pan. No need to cook noodles. Also no need dice up a steak as this beef stroganoff recipe uses ground beef.
Noodle Replacement Options
There are many options you have available to use instead of noodles. Such veggie options would be to serve the mixture over cauliflower rice, zoodles (which are zucchini noodles), cabbage or even green beans.
Another option is to use miracle noodles.
However, my favorite is to use a snack food that has zero net carbs, in fact it has zero carbs. Pork rinds!
It’s not exactly the same the same dish, but I absolutely love it this way now. This way the keto stroganoff is served over the pork rinds, kind of like keto nachos.
The Base Ingredients of this Low Carb Stroganoff Recipe
- Beef: I used 80/20 ground beef in this, however feel free to lower or even increase the fat. Fat helps you stay fuller on a ketogenic diet.
- Cream Cheese: I choose to use cream cheese to help save on carbs compared to sour cream. I also have no curdling issues.
- Mushrooms: I enjoy using portabella mushrooms, but feel free to use your favorite.
How to Make Keto Beef Stroganoff
- You first want to melt the butter then add in the onion, garlic, and mushrooms over medium to low heat.
- The ground beef and worchestire sauce along with salt gets cooked in next.
- Lastly the cream cheese and beef broth gets added. This recipe doesn’t use sour cream as a way to save on net carbs. This is also the reason why I decided not to use cauliflower rice.
Tips to Making this Recipe Very Low in Total & Net Carbs
If you have been following me, you will know that I all of the recipes on my site are not only below 10 net carbs, but they are also under 10 TOTAL carbs.
For this recipes, I use ground onion powder to save carbs from the onions. You can still very much use onions and still be under 10 carbs, yet I was looking for even lower.
Another way I made this recipe lower in carbs is by using cream cheese and beef broth instead of sour cream.
By doing this, it also helped me avoid needing any thickening agent like xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a perfectly fine ingredient, but it can bother some people when they consume it.
Dairy Free Beef Stroganoff
Did you know that this recipe easily can be dairy free? Kit Hill is a company with dairy free options and cream cheese happens to be one of them. If you want to make this beef stroganoff recipe dairy free, use 33 grams of this recipe in place of the dairy cream cheese.
Keto Side Dish Recipes to pair with your Ground Beef Stroganoff
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you freeze low carb beef stroganoff?
Yes you can. However, I would cook everything but adding the cream cheese. Then when you are ready to enjoy your meal, reheat it on the stove top and add in the cream cheese over medium heat.
How many carbs does keto beef stroganoff have?
I have seen a variety of ranges from 3 to 4 net carbs. However, my recipe only has 1.5 total carbs.
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes it is! You just have to make sure the brand of worchestire sauce is gluten free. Read those labels. 🙂
Enjoy this quick beef stroganoff while on a ketogenic diet. It's the lowest recipe in carbs and still has all the flavors as your classic stroganoff.
- 1/2 t minced garlic (I used the kind from the jar)
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/4 C beef broth
- 1 t worchestire sauce
- 1 t salt
- 4 T butter
- 4 oz cream cheese (or 132 g of Kite Hill Cream Cheese)
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 16 oz 80/20 Ground Beef
- Add the butter, onion powder, mushrooms, and garlic to a sauce pan on medium to low heat until garlic starts to turn brown.
- Add in the ground beef, salt, worchestire sauce until the beef has fully cooked
- Lastly, add in the beef broth and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese has melted and is fully mixed in.
If you are choosing to make this dairy free, you will want to add more salt.
Serving Size:1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490 Total Fat: 44g Carbohydrates: 1.5g Protein: 22g