As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
There once was a girl that loved having pizza night with her family at home. Pan crust to be exact was her favorite. This girl grew up and started eating keto and was no longer able to eat her favorite pizza crust. 🙁 However, she discovered the famous fat heat pizza crust and her life changed forever. This fat head pizza crust is not like the pan pizza crust she loves, but it definitely satisfies her pizza cravings.
There was one small problem though with the classic fat head recipe. It had more carbohydrates than she wanted. Thus, an experiment was born one night. She used half the amount of almond flour and she loved it!
I always forget that this crust can be pretty darn filling especially after putting more cheese on top and other toppings. My eyes told me that I was going to have this whole pizza for dinner. I ended up only eating half of it. Which turned out great, as I had it for brunch the next day. I placed it on a pizza stone in the oven this time then turned the oven on to 350 F and cooked it to my liking.
Tips for the Recipe
I ended up finding a chunk of mozzarella that I could shred at home. I’ll be honest, I really did not want to shred it, but I wanted to make this crust with the least amount of carbs possible. Most bags of mozzarella you will find 1 gram of carbs for each ounce. This happens because of the stuff they use to make the cheese not stick. The stuff I found listed carbs as less than 1 gram of carbs for each ounce. I always count this at 0.4 grams. If it’s under 0.5 carbs, they can list the items as 0 carbs.
I was also told that omitting the egg may also make the crust crispier. So, if you like a crispier crust, try that. I personally have to be in the right mood to want a crispy crust. If you didn’t know, I was that girl at the start of this post. 🙂
If you can’t have almond flour you can give this a try with coconut flour. I first made fat head pizza crust with coconut flour. If you google it you will find some recipes. Then you can always try it with less flour that way. OR you could try out my Zero Carb Pizza Crust. You can avoid carbs all together with that crust. 🙂
Fat Head Pizza Crust, Lower Carbs
- 170 grams Mozzarella Cheese I shredded my own to save even more carbs
- 42 grams Almond Flour
- 2 T Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- In a microwave safe bowl, put in cream cheese and shredded mozzarella.
- Place in microwave for 2 seconds. Then do another 20 seconds. Mix with a baking spatula.
- Once mixed, mix in the egg.
- Mix in the almond flour now.
- The dough will be sticky.
- Lay down a parchment paper or use these great cookie liners.
- Put the dough down and put a parchment paper on top to spread out the dough.
- Remove the top paper and put into a 400 degree oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 400 F degrees. Then turn the oven up to 425 F for 5 minutes.
- Flip the crust over and bake for another 2 minutes, if you want to brown the bottom of the crust some.
- Allow to cool or add your toppings. I personally turned the oven down to 350 to bake the toppings. This last step for time will vary to your liking.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving = 1/2 recipe)
Net Carbs: 3.3
To log the recipe on MyFitnessPal search: Keto Keuhn Nutrition – Fat Head Pizza Crust